Why there is a need for this certificate?
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV2) has converted the whole world into a biological laboratory. Particularly at workplaces both employees and employers would have to jointly work together for their safety including people working around them as well as their families. The term social/physical distancing globally used presume everyone around you can transmit viral infection indiscriminately. Parents, children, family, friends or people in the community possess the capability of transmitting COVID-19 causing virus irrespective of geographical boundaries. It sounds the whole world has been transformed into a biohazard place except pristine areas never coming in touch with human activities.
Lockdown has been the most effective strategy for the promotion of social distancing. However, it led to immense economic pressure with the temporary closures of industry and workplaces. Not to talk of developing and underdeveloped countries even the most industrialized rich countries cannot bear longer lockdown. As such, everybody cannot be in the lockdown. There is a need for trained individuals who can create safer work environments to assist the proper supply of food chains as well as other industrial setups producing items for our daily use.
Competency or skill-based certificate in biosafety skills is a way of training people to strengthen their skills, relevant knowledge, and requisite attitude in biosafety practices that can save people from acquiring coronavirus and other infectious diseases. The National Skills University Islamabad, national and international collaborating team in consultation with the National Vocational and Technical Training Commission (NAVTTC) will be running this program. Successful completion of this certificate will empower learner’s capabilities to apply knowledge and skills necessary for securing them and save everyone from acquiring coronaviruses and other infectious diseases.
Who should get training?
Employers, employee, parents, students, teaching community, general business community including population at large.
Core Curriculum of Competency-Based Biosafety Skills @ Workplace
MODULE 1 – INTRODUCTION TO COVID-19 CAUSING VIRUS
- Why we need biosafety?
- History of Infectious diseases
- Coronaviruses in recent times
- COVID-19 causing coronaviruses
MODULE 2 - STAYING SAFE FROM COVID-19 THROUGH PERSONAL PROTECTION STRATEGIES
- Personal protective measures
- Protecting family and loved ones from corona and other infections
- Community, and Country during COVID-19
- Daily routines and household tasks
MODULE 3 - SAVING COMMUNITIES FROM COVID-19
- Overcoming social distress from media and finding right information
- Religious and professional gatherings
- Protecting yourself and fellows around while in transit
MODULE 4 - SAFER WORKPLACES IN COVID-19 ERA
- Workplaces and hygienic measures
- Getting your office and work area infections free
- Assessing risk among fellow workers and necessary measures
- Handling people with absurd behaviors
- Dealing with emergent situations
MODULE 5 - MEETING THE UNFORTUNATE
- Common symptoms of the COVID-19 disease
- Self-isolation and quarantine measures
- Differentiating between allergic symptoms and COVID-19
- Controlling symptoms at home
- When to take patient to the hospital
MODULE 6 - MENTAL HEALTH AND COVID-19
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Responses to COVID-19
- Psychological Problems (Fear- Coronophobia & Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Obsession, PTSD etc.)
- Stigma and Interpersonal issues
- Management Interventions: Behavioural Vaccination , Stress & Lifestyle Management, Psychological First Aid, Mindfulness etc.)
MODULE 7 - EMPLOYER ROLE IN CREATING SAFER ENVIRONMENTS
- Reducing infections risk
- Provision of proper handwashing
- Antiseptic sprays
- Engineering aspects and new requirements
Learning Outcomes from Competency Based Certificate Program in Biosafety Skills @ Workplace
On completion of this certificate program participants will be able to:
Understand biosafety aspects relevant to infectious diseases with a major focus on COVID-19 causing virus.
Healthy home concept, protecting self and loved ones around you.
Effectively manage the health and safety aspects associated with working in your offices, industry or interactions at workplaces
Provide professional, informed advice to institutions, fellows, and colleagues for the establishment of containment facilities for minimizing risk of acquiring COVID-19 causing virus.
Increase the competency including personal/professional responsibilities during COVID-19 era.
This course utilizes hybrid delivery methodology including E-learning tools and personal training by the experts in the country and abroad. The course is freely available, however, to acquired certification you would have to appear in an exam at the institution of your choice in the country (approved by the NAVTTC and NSU).
Written Test  An online written test followed by evaluation of your practical skills will make you eligible for certification
Passing Score   Minimal passing score is >80%
Opportunities   Failing candidates are provided two additional opportunities without any cost.
Assessment and Evaluation
Our assessment is based on previous skills and knowledge (competency) you have acquired in the field of biosafety. We strengthen your expertise through a set of highly focused videos available through our collaborators. An intensive two days training at the partner universities will further strengthen your knowledge related to biosafety aspects associated with coronavirus infection.
Participants competency in Biosafety skills will be evaluated through a written test and practical observation of skills, and knowledge in biosafety.